1. Lighting – the general rule of thumb is to light 3 of the 4 corners. Ideally, you should use three different kinds of lighting (i.e. a table lamp, floor lamp and a light focused on an object or piece of art work).
2. Live plants – Simple, structural greenery in an attractive pot is timeless. I recently read THIS interesting article about the benefits of houseplants.
3. Candles (out of reach of little hands and paws) give off soft light and great smell. What’s not to love?
4. A variety of textures makes a room feel collected, comfortable, and unfussy
5. A neutral, warm beige on the walls is timeless. You can inject the space with pops of color via fabrics, artwork, and accessories
6. Strategically placed tables ensure that there is a place (within reach of every seat) to set a mug or glass
7. Keep a basket for clutter creep nearby- Things that don’t belong will, inevitably, find their way in, but you can just toss those things in a basket until you have time to deal with them.
8. Keep toss pillows and throw blankets handy. A storage ottoman is a perfect hiding spot for these.
9. You will never tire of Artwork and framed photographs that you truly love